Tuesday 12 April 2011

Sea Shell Wandering.....



I whipped up this little vest this week. It was at first intended to be a cardigan for myself, BUT when I was half way through 2 things came up. One was the fact that a friend was having a birthday, the other that I made this a little small. As I had planned to make something for my friend anyway, I decided to change things half way through and make her a vest instead. 



The main bodice of the pattern is for the Mesh Trellis cardigan from the "Crocheted Gifts" book by Kim Werker.  I had borrowed this book from the library a while back and loved it so much that I went ahead and purchased a copy.   :-)



In my usual fashion of not following instructions to a T, I used the wrong sized hook and different yarn. I mean really, who cares right? Turns out this is why it was a little small. But thats ok, it all worked out well in the end. 
The yarn I used was Patons Washed Haze (cotton blend) in Coral. I picked it up for a bargain price of just 50c per ball. A very lucky find. I think I used around 5 or 6 balls. I forgot to count. 



The pattern was a delight to work with. Very easy to follow and I loved it so much, I will for sure make it again. Both in a cotton vest and as a full cardigan in wool.  I changed a couple of things in the pattern. One being the reverse sc along the edges. I just used a sc edging instead. I also added two rows of sc around the sleeves to give it a bit of an edge, even though it looked nice without it. I would probably next time not bother with the bottom edging either. It really did not need it.

The reason I made an open style vest instead of a cardigan is that it will be to wear over a loose top as my friend is expecting a baby very soon. I thought it would be far more comfy for a nursing mama to wear and she is lucky its a bit snug for me, lol, I love it so much I would have been rather tempted to keep it for myself. 

Of course it is a very rare thing for me to keep my projects for myself. It is far more fun giving them to others. 

Have a wonderful day!
Hugs and smoochies all xoxox






No comments:

Post a Comment