Thursday 20 October 2011

Another one for the to do list......

With all my talk about Vintage pattern book finds lately, I had to have a laugh when my man was cleaning out his office and old bookcase when he came down stairs and presented me with three very old knitting/craft books that I must have filed up there many many moons ago.

They were all from the 80's and two of them I think I will pass on as I really don't find any of the patterns appealing which is probably why I forgot I even owned them. But this one..........well, this one is full of interesting little gems....not all so much my usual choices of craft but interesting ideas, none the less.



After a quick look through I decided it was not only a keeper but just look at this adorable pattern.....



I am so going to have to make this one, the only problem is that it calls for 3ply wool. I have not knitted with 3 ply for many many years and do not have any at the moment. Its really not so popular these days and my favourite wool supplier only has it in white or cream. So I am wondering if it is worth the risk of using 4ply wool and smaller needles. I know it could work but I also know it will not have the same fine texture as 3 ply. Hmmmmm.



Well, I certainly have time to think about it before starting. With all the unfinished projects I have on the go. It will have to wait a little first before I get started. I so want to to make it right now, but I know if I do, something else may end up frogged. And we can't have that now can we? LOL Oh the temptation is too much for me!

Have a beautiful day everyone! Hugs and smoochies xoxoxox

5 comments:

  1. Could you maybe knit it in the 3ply your LYS has and then dye it afterwards? Or dye the yarn first? I hve a small stash of 3ply in white and lemon and I'm thinking of dying it as it is wool so should work ok. There are so many lovely vintage patterns that call for 3ply aren't there?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book looks interesting, and the dress is lovely :) Such a sweet pattern. It would look nice in white or cream too, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how beautiful! It would make a lovely winter christening dress.
    Sayre

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one cute garment! Is it a dress or cardi?
    I'm sure you can figure out the gauge differences b/tween 3 ply and 4 ply? Someone out there on Ravelry would probably be of great help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is a dress. Dying is a great idea, I may consider doing that. I was thinking of trying to dye some wool anyway when my tansy plants flower again but I was thinking about dying a thicker wool. Kepanie, I could probably work it out myself, I have done it before but the 3 ply wool, I think would give a much better result for the pattern in this one. The pink cardigan in my sidebar, (under all the links) was meant to be 5 ply and I made it in 8ply. It came out really nice.

    ReplyDelete